With the advances in dentistry, it is now possible to save a damaged tooth rather than opt for its extraction. Nothing can replace natural teeth. Despite the continuous improvements to restoration procedures, saving a tooth is still the best option. Thankfully, a damaged tooth due to decay or injury is still possible to protect and strengthen, thanks to dental crowns!
Dental crowns or caps are prostheses that are designed to resemble the color, shape, and form of natural teeth. A dental crown is placed over a tooth to restore its structure and appearance with the added benefit and functionality.
Uses of a Dental Crown
- Supports a tooth with a large filling
- Serves as an anchor for a dental bridge
- Acts as a single-tooth replacement with dental implants
- Protects a weakened tooth due to damage, decay, or after a root canal treatment
- Restores worn down or broken tooth
- Solves cosmetic dental issues
In the past getting dental crowns requires two dental appointments. The first one is allotted for the preparation of its placement and the second visit is done after waiting a few weeks for the custom-creation of the prosthesis in an off-site laboratory. At Digital Smiles, our patients do not have to experience this inconvenience for we make dental crowns in just a single visit! It is all possible with the help of CEREC!
CEREC Crowns utilizes CAD/CAM (Computer-Aided Design and Manufacturing) technology to make same-day tooth restorations possible. The dentist will prepare the tooth to receive the crown, take digital impressions, create 3D images of the mouth, then the milling unit will be operated. As soon as it is ready, the prosthesis will be bonded on the tooth. Necessary adjustments will be made to make sure that the placement will be perfect.
Benefits of CEREC Crowns
- There is no need for any temporary prosthesis for the permanent crowns will be created on-site.
- The milling machine can create more accurate prosthesis, so there is no need to remove any excess tooth structures
- There is no risk for sensitivity after fitting unlike with temporary crowns.
- Patients who will undergo multiple dental appointments are more likely to develop infections. CEREC eliminates this possibility since everything will be in place in one session.
- Despite its quick creation, patients are assured that CEREC crowns are as durable as the traditional prosthesis.
Aiming to restore your teeth as natural as it was before? Contact us to know more about Crowns and bridges, or to schedule your appointment with us at Digital Smiles of California.